Feb 21, 2016

3D Calendar

 I had a lot of fun with this project. 
 Nothing too perfect but perfectly timed.

I was asked TO create a 3D Advent Calendar. 
The request was accompanied with this deadline plea...
"Be really good to get that by the weekend Mom. Thanks. I Love You"

24 little boxes into which he could put as many little presents 
 I smiled at the romance of such a thoughtful gift idea.  I grinned happily at the fact that this great guy is my Son. I giggled nervously as I gazed into the future.
  I proceeded with joy and anticipation.
 I enjoy the art of crafting and the challenge of producing the same for a song!

I used a total of 3 different cardboard boxes to complete the 3D Advent calendar project.
 The strongest box with the thickest cardboard was used as the base box. I used the flaps from the other boxes to create the dividers and strips from the sides of the cardboard boxes to create the lids.
The project was completed in several 3 hour time slots. 


Craft an Advent Calendar

  The finished box is  
  approx.10 x16 inches
 
 There are 24 little gift boxes.
 The Advent Calendar is approx 4 inches deep.

3D Advent Calendar

 I found the perfect size cardboard box for the base of this project. 

I cut off the top of the box and spray painted the base with a black spray. 
After drying I used a hot glue gun to attach the wide ribbon to the lower outside of the cardboard box. 
The ribbon folds over and is also glued onto the bottom.


 Because of the time restraints on this request, I was somewhat limited to the amount of "finishing" that could/would  be accomplished on the advent calendar. Had I more time, I would have taken the time to finish the top edge of each little box with possibly, glitter glue, a thin ribbon hot glued onto the top, a bead of metallic fabric paint?? 
Additionally I would have also spray painted the inside of the little gift box. Possibly making each a different color of each? 

  I cut 3 strips of cardboard from the side of several sturdy boxes 
  each 4 inches deep x 16 inches long.
Use a hot glue gun to attach the separator strips to the sides and the bottom of the base box. I glued the 3 strips evenly apart in the base creating 4 even width spaces 16 inches long.. 

I varied the size of the boxes by staggering the strips 
that I then glued within each16 inch length. 

I  needed to have 24 boxes so
I created 4 boxes across and six boxes down.


Make it. Lillian the Domestic Engineer Blog
The inside of the box could be spray
painted at this point.

Pipe cleaners are used to create a ledge for each lid to sit down and on to.
Preform the pipe cleaner for each gift box and affix using a strip of hot glue.
I staggered the lid depths by gluing the pipe cleaner lower into some of the gift boxes. Others were glued at the very top rim of the box creating gift boxes deep enough to hold the 3 inch plastic bottle with lid that was inserted into the box below.

Too Cute Cardboard

    





















    Lid Top Lifters
   Be creative. 
  Select any variety of colors and sizes for your lid toppers.
  Do ensure that the item used is durable enough to pull the lid from the box 
  and that you use sufficient hot glue to attach the lid lifters to the cardboard lid.... buttons, balls, bells, stones??
  As it is, if this box was to be upset the lids may come off and the gifts could fall out. 
   A wee dab of white glue could be tipped down onto two sides of the pipe cleaner
   after the gifts have been inserted into their respective gift box 
   and once you are ready to seal the calendar.

Craft an Advent Calendar

A cardboard lid could be made to fit over the entire box
and a large ribbon tied around the outside. 
Imagine the delight of opening a present that then offers 24 little gifts.

This would be a lovely new Mommy gift. Taking it day by day!
Soothers, teethers, breast pads, socks, earrings, bibs, affirmations.......
 
 Great memory gift for any senior. How Sweet it was. Pictures and candy are great routes to memories
. Correlate the number of boxes with the days of the month and make marking every day memorable for the recipient!

We are only limited by our imagination. If you can dream it you can do it.
Happy Crafting!

More GREAT CRAFTING IDEAS HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger